Which year is the best for a Ford F150?

Hey guys,
I want to buy my son a used Ford F150 truck from 2015 or newer. It should be a Crew Cab Short Bed, have four-wheel drive, and a 5.0-liter engine. He’s in his last year of high school and I want the truck to last him through his four years of college, about 60,000 more miles.

Can you tell me which years are the best for this truck? How long do the 5.0 engines usually last? And what problems should I watch out for and avoid?

1 Like

For a reliable Ford F150 Crew Cab Short Bed with a 5.0-liter engine and four-wheel drive, targeting model years 2015 to 2020 is ideal. The 5.0-liter engine is known for its durability, typically lasting well beyond 200,000 miles with proper maintenance. However, common issues to watch out for include transmission problems in some early models, particularly the 2015 and 2016 versions. Ensure thorough inspection of the transmission and look for any signs of leaks or shifting irregularities. Additionally, check for any history of recalls or unresolved issues related to the specific model year you’re considering. Overall, a well-maintained F150 from these years should serve your son well through his college years with minimal issues.

Have you considered getting a pre-purchase inspection done by a mechanic specializing in F-150s? It could be an extra layer of security.

I would recommend the 2021 Ford F 150 King Ranch.
This car has four full-size doors and the space to carry, so it is a crew cab short-bed.
It’s also hybrid and has 430 Horsepower and 570 lb-ft of torque from its 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6, this is more torque than any engine Ford has ever put in an F-150. Apart from its PowerUp update system, I don’t think there should be any problem with the car, though this problem is quite personal.