What's the best year for the F150?

Hi, I’m pretty sure I’m going to check out the market for slightly used CPO XLT/Lariat trucks. I thought I’d ask here if anyone knows if certain model years had more problems. When I say “lightly used,” I mean anything with less than 20-25k miles, which could be from 2015 to 2018. Some cars need a few years to fix issues, but since I’m new to this SUV market, I don’t know about any big problems year to year. I’m guessing that’s why these trucks have good reliability ratings? Anyway, if there’s a year I should avoid, I’d like to know. Thanks!

2 Likes

My friend owns a 2016 Ford F-150 Lariat 3.5-L V6 turbo and she experienced several failures with the Catalytic converters. The ones that she also replaced had to be replaced again.

1 Like

If I were you, I’d go 2015 up just to get the aluminum body to avoid the rust issues of the 2014 and below. The 5.0 v8 with the 6 speed in this gen of trucks would be the most reliable truck Ford has made in a while, and they’d be right in their price range. The 3.5 or 2.7 ecoboost would be decent, but it has to be well kept and you have to do the same for it to be decent. If you wanted to gamble you could also look at the 2017 and up trucks with the 10 speed but imo for long term reliability the trucks with the 6 speed would be much better.

2 Likes

The best year for the Ford F-150 depends on various factors, including reliability, features, performance, and personal preference. The years like 2020 had more modern technology without much of mechanical issues. That year along with years 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018, and 2019 all are of good choices.

1 Like

Model Years to Consider (2015-2018):

2015-2017: These trucks are generally praised for their reliability and have received favorable ratings from Consumer Reports and J.D. Power. The 2015 model marked the beginning of the updated F-150 design, potentially addressing any initial issues by subsequent model years like 2016 and 2017.

2018: The 2018 F-150 underwent a significant refresh, introducing a new engine option (3.3L V6) and a 10-speed automatic transmission. While not inherently unreliable, being the debut year for this new powertrain warrants attention to any potential issues specific to this model year.

1 Like

I would say the 2018 Ford F150 as the best year. My uncle has this truck and he is still using it upto date. Even though it has 45k mileage this is also usually he travels a lot and goes on mud hikes with some couple of his friends. He has never exprienced any problem with his truck.