What does the PO430 code signify in a Ford vehicle?

I’ve got a 2018 F-150 STX that I bought brand new. It’s got 34,000 miles on it, and yesterday the check engine light turned on. When I checked, the code was P0430.

A few months ago, I noticed my gas mileage went down by about 1 or 2 miles per gallon. Last month, while driving at speed, the engine seemed to hesitate a bit a few times and then go back to normal. This doesn’t happen all the time, just occasionally.

Could it be that the fuel injectors need cleaning? Or maybe there’s bad gas in the tank? Do you think the mass air sensor needs cleaning?

I’m hoping someone can help me figure out what’s going on.

P0430 is a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) indicating “Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2).” This code signals an issue with the catalytic converter located near engine bank 2, which is situated opposite the number one cylinder side of the engine.

The PO430 trouble code in a Ford vehicle indicates a potential issue with the catalytic converter’s efficiency in Bank 2. This code suggests that the catalytic converter on the side of the engine opposite the number one cylinder is not operating at its optimal level of performance.

It indicates that the catalytic converter system’s efficiency is below the threshold for Bank 2.
It means that the vehicle’s control module has detected that the three-way catalytic converter is not working as efficiently as expected.

How to diagnose the problem:

1. Use an OBD-II Scanner: Retrieve the code and any freeze frame data.

2. Visual Inspection: Check the catalytic converter for physical damage or signs of overheating.

3.Check Oxygen Sensors: Use a scan tool to compare the readings from the upstream and downstream oxygen sensors on Bank 2.

4.Inspect for Exhaust Leaks: Look for leaks in the exhaust system, especially between the engine and the catalytic converter.

5.Check Engine Performance: Ensure there are no misfires, and the engine is running smoothly.

6.Catalytic Converter Cleaner: As a temporary fix, you can use a cleaner to help remove deposits from the converter.