What Axle Do I Have?

Hey crew, got a bit of a head-scratcher for you. So, I’ve been tinkering under the hood of my truck, and it hit me: do any of you know what axle I’ve got in there?

I mean, I’ve been cruising around in this thing for a while now, but the specifics are a bit fuzzy. Figured I’d turn to the experts - you guys - for some insight.

Let’s crack this axle mystery wide open!

1 Like

Another approach is to use your truck’s information. Knowing the year, make, and model allows us to search for common axle configurations used in those vehicles.

1 Like

Many axles have an identification tag attached to the differential cover or the axle tube. This tag often contains codes or numbers that can be used to identify the axle type.

To figure out the type of axle in your truck, start by checking the vehicle identification number (VIN) or looking up the manufacturer’s specs for your truck model. These often list the axle type.

If that doesn’t work, take a look at the axle itself for any stamped numbers or tags. These usually tell you what kind of axle it is. You can also measure the diameter of the axle shaft and count the bolts on the differential cover for clues.

To determine the axle of your truck, you can inspect the door sticker (for Ford trucks), search for identification tags and stamps (Dana Spicer), locate GM RPO codes, or visually analyze the axle’s characteristics.

Haha, tell me about it Who knew axles could be so secretive? Alright gearheads, let’s see if we can solve this mystery together.