Neutral Safety Switch Frustration

Hi everyone, I’m new here, so please forgive any mistakes.

I own a 2016 F-150 King Ranch SuperCrew 6.5-ft. 4WD (CREW CAB PICKUP 4-DR, 5.0L V8) and live in Montreal, Quebec, Canada.

Lately, I’ve been having issues with my truck. After driving for about 30 minutes, the service wrench light comes on, and the engine gets louder. If I turn off the truck, it won’t start again for 15-20 minutes. Additionally, shifting from Drive to Reverse is jerky, and the vehicle sometimes shifts out of drive.

Both my local mechanic and the Ford dealership say the Neutral Safety Switch needs replacing, but the part is on backorder.

It sounds like you’re experiencing multiple issues with your F-150, particularly related to the service wrench light coming on after driving for a period, engine noise, and difficulties with starting and shifting. The symptoms you described, along with the diagnosis of the Neutral Safety Switch needing replacement, suggest there may be an underlying issue with the transmission or its components. Since the part is on backorder, you may need to wait for it to become available before repairs can be completed. In the meantime, it’s advisable to follow your mechanic’s recommendations and avoid driving the vehicle if it’s exhibiting erratic behavior to prevent further damage.

Also, while waiting for the replacement part, it’s crucial to ensure the safety of your vehicle and yourself. Avoid driving if the truck exhibits jerky shifting or unexpected transmission behavior, as this could lead to further damage or safety hazards. If possible, inquire with the Ford dealership or other authorized service centers about the estimated timeframe for the part to become available, and consider scheduling the repair as soon as it’s in stock. In the meantime, stay in communication with your mechanic and dealership to stay informed about any updates or alternative solutions that may arise. Additionally, document any ongoing issues or concerns you encounter with the vehicle to facilitate the repair process once the replacement part is obtained.