Keyhole near rear license plate? (unscramble keyhole)

Hello Ford enthusiasts,

I just purchased my 2013 XLT Eco Screw 4x4 two weeks ago. This afternoon, since it wasn’t snowing, I took a closer look at the exterior and found a small cover open on the right side of the rear license plate area. It looks like a keyhole. I checked the owner’s manual and searched the forum but couldn’t find any information about it.

No, I didn’t stick a key in there—I’m a bit hesitant to do so.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

1 Like

The keyhole near the rear license plate is probably the access point for your vehicle’s spare tire. In this context, it’s common for “keyhole” to refer to a “lock.”

It is most likely for manually opening the tailgate in the case where the electronic release fails.
It allows you to safely use your key from the fob to open it.
Consider contacting your local Ford dealer for help too.

Congratulations on your new ride! When I got my Ford a while back, I stumbled upon something similar. Turned out, it’s usually for the trunk release or maybe even a tow hitch lock. But hey, no need to play guessing games. My advice? Swing by your local Ford dealership or give them a buzz. They’ve got the lowdown on all the nifty features of your truck. Better safe than sorry, right?

The keyhole located near the rear license plate is utilized for unlocking and removing the entire locking mechanism, leaving an opening for inserting a rod to lower the spare tire. The unscrambled word for “keyhole” is “rushlike” (8 letters), along with other valid words like “hulkier,” “shrike,” and “hiker.” If you come across this keyhole, you now understand its purpose! :blush: