Is the Ford FX4 package worth it?

Is the FX4 package worth it for towing a bass boat every weekend? I’m considering trucks with a 6.5’ bed but can’t find many with the FX4 package. The FX4 has stiffer shocks, but the skid plates and downhill assist don’t matter much to me. I just don’t want a really soft rear end, even though the trucks I’m looking at all have the Max Tow Package. Thanks!

Not worth it. Regular XLT 4x4 will be plenty for your usage.

1 Like

It may not be necessary for you to have the FX4 package.

What you need to know:

1. Max Tow Package: With the Max Tow Package, you already have the more rigid suspension required for towing.
  2. Features of the FX4: Boat towing does not benefit from the usage of skid plates or downhill assist.
  3. If the back end feels flimsy when being towed, you might want to think about getting sturdier aftermarket shocks.

Pay attention to vehicles using the Max Tow Package and replace shocks as necessary.

If I’m not mistaken, the 4x4 XLT does not come standard with the 4A (four-wheel drive Auto) mode, only 4x4 high and 4x4 low. Adding the FX4 package will get you all the aforementioned equipment BUT it will also give you 4A, which in my opinion is a fantastic feature and the single most useful FX4 feature.