Is the F150 bed cover waterproof?

Hey everyone, it’s Mason from Charleston, SC. I’ve been reading for a while but this is my first time writing. I recently got a newer truck, swapping my 2005 Lariat for a 2016 Limited. Now, I’m looking for the best bed cover option. I know none are totally waterproof, but some have to be better than others. My old truck had a fiberglass hard top cover, which kept my cargo clean and dry. What kind of cover do you use for your truck, and what do you like most about it?

These covers are typically made of vinyl or fabric material and attach to the bed rails with Velcro or snaps. While they provide some level of protection against water, they may not be completely waterproof, especially during heavy rain or when driving at high speeds.

Hey Mason, welcome from Charleston

Congrats on the upgrade to the 2016 Limited, that’s a sweet truck. Since you know your way around bed covers from your old Lariat, I can help narrow down some options for the Limited. A fiberglass hard top like you had is definitely good for keeping cargo completely dry, but there are other styles like roll-up tonneau covers that might be a good fit depending on your needs. What are you planning on using the truck bed for most often?

While some water resistance is helpful, especially for light rain, complete dryness is important to me.

Maybe a hard top or retractable cover would be a better option for my needs. Are there any pros and cons to consider with those types?

If you’re lookin’ for a cover for your F-150 that’s gonna keep everything bone dry, you’ve got options.
Now, not all covers are built the same, but there are some solid choices that’ll do the trick.

For instance, the Tonno Pro Hard Fold Tonneau Cover is a tough cookie with powder-coated aluminum frames and a tear-resistant vinyl that’s all about keepin’ the elements out.

Then you’ve got the WeatherTech AlloyCover, which is engineered with a water-shedding design and reinforced vinyl coated hinges to route water away from the bed.

Just remember, while these covers are designed to be water-resistant, no cover is 100% waterproof due to the nature of truck beds and potential for water intrusion at the tailgate or other areas.