F250 vs. F350 Ride Quality – Seeking Opinions

Hi everyone…

I’m in the market for a new truck and am trying to decide between the Ford F250 and F350. One of my main concerns is ride quality, as I’ll be using the truck for both work and daily driving.

Some specific questions I have:

1. Comfort: How do the F250 and F350 compare in terms of ride comfort, especially on long drives?
  2. Suspension: Are there noticeable differences in the suspension setup and how it affects the ride?
  3. Daily Driving: Is there a significant difference in how they handle day-to-day driving and city commutes?
  4. Payload and Towing: How does the increased payload and towing capacity of the F350 affect ride quality when the truck is not loaded?
  5. Overall Experience: Based on your experience, which truck would you recommend for someone looking for a balance between work capabilities and daily comfort?

I’d love to hear your thoughts and experiences to help me make an informed decision. Thanks in advance.

4 Likes

I have towed our 7,000 lb camper with both a 2019 F350 and a 2021 F250. The F350 had a much stiffer ride, and my kids often complained about it. In terms of ride quality, I definitely prefer the F250. However, the trade-off is that the F250 has about 1,000 lbs less payload capacity (3,990 lbs for the F350 and 3,070 lbs for the F250). The F350 had a 6.2 engine, while the F250 has a 7.3 engine.

3 Likes

Last spring, I drove a 2022 F-250 for six months, putting about 12,000 miles on it. It rode smoothly and was very comfortable, all 100% stock with 18-inch rims and stock all-terrain tires. In October, I switched to a 2020 F-350, which I still drive and have put about 33,000 miles on since then. This truck is also 100% stock with 20-inch rims and Toyo AT3 tires.

I can confidently say that the F-350 rides noticeably stiffer than the F-250. While it’s still comfortable, it feels jumpier and stiffer on rough or bumpy roads, especially with potholes (thanks, New Hampshire). I don’t mind this, but the F-250 was definitely more comfortable.

I’m not sure if the rim size affects this, but I suspect the 20-inch rims make the ride a bit stiffer due to less tire sidewall compared to the 18-inch rims. Both trucks have the 6.7L Power Stroke engine, are single rear wheel (SRW), and are crew cabs with a 6-foot bed. The F-350 tows a bit smoother than the F-250 when using a trailer. It feels stronger and more stable with less sway, which makes sense. I regularly towed a Bobcat S595 on an 18-foot equipment trailer with both trucks.

2 Likes

My dad drives a 2018 F350 with 37x12.5 tires on 20-inch rims, and it rides incredibly smoothly. That’s coming from me, though, since I drive a lifted 1997 F350 with 35x12.5 tires on 20-inch rims and heavy-duty B code rear springs, which feels like a rough, old wagon.

1 Like

From what I know, you’re right. You might only need an overload leaf or maybe a block. To save some money, consider getting an F250 and adding air bags if it sags with your load.