What's the popular choice for kayak racks on short box trucks?

Hey everyone! Just got my truck and I’m excited to go camping and kayaking with it. I’ve been checking out different ladder racks, but I’m not sure which one would be best for hauling longer kayaks on my short box truck. Mine is 13 feet long, and my wife’s is 11.5 feet.

I noticed that most of the cheaper ladder racks seem to sit inside the edge of the truck bed, which might make it impossible to use a tonneau cover. I’m hoping to find a rack that will allow me to use either a soft or hard roll-up tonneau cover, like the Bak Revolver or Bak Flip, while still being able to securely transport camping gear and kayaks on top. What kind of racks do people usually use for this?

Also, I’m wondering if short box trucks don’t have front bed hooks on the rail. Right now, I only have rear hooks that are covered by caps. My original plan was to use a 2x4 with anchor points on both sides to mount the ladder rack, and then use a tonneau cover underneath it. But without front bed hooks, that plan won’t work. Are the front hooks just covered by plastic? Can I cut them out to use them?

hi brother this aint the best advise but trust me it will assist u The Lund 601021 Hitch Mounted Bed Extender gives you more room to store many kayaks. It mounts on the hitch1 and has a 750 pound weight capacity.
For shorter kayaks, the Thule Xsporter Pro is a versatile choice that mounts on top of the truck and has a 450 lb capacity. The TMS Adjustable Utility Rack has an 800 lb capacity and allows for flexible width adjustments. It is an excellent option for transporting kayaks and additional equipment. Apex Aluminum Universal Truck Rack: This sturdy rack, which can support up to 800 pounds, fits the majority of truck beds