Should You Use Regular or Premium Fuel When Towing with Your F-150?

Hey guys, I’ve been wondering about something for a while now. When you’re towing with an F-150, do you think it’s better to use regular fuel or should you go with premium? I mean, does premium actually make a difference when you’re hauling stuff? What do you guys think?

3 Likes

Honestly, I’ve always used regular fuel when towing with my F-150, and I haven’t had any issues. My truck runs just fine and I don’t really see a need to spend extra on premium. As long as you maintain your truck properly, regular fuel should be good enough.

2 Likes

You know, I used to think the same thing, but I switched to premium a while back, and I did notice a slight improvement in performance, especially when towing heavy loads. It might be a bit more expensive, but I feel like my engine runs smoother and has a bit more power.

1 Like

I’ve tried both, and honestly, I didn’t see a huge difference. Maybe premium gives a bit more power, but for the cost difference, I usually just stick with regular. Unless you’re towing something really heavy or driving in extreme conditions, I think regular fuel works just fine.

Hello Fam, For towing with your F-150, choosing between regular and premium fuel depends on a few factors:

F-150 Engine Recommendation:

Check your Ford F-150 owner’s manual. Most F-150 engines, especially those from 2017 onwards, are designed to run on regular 87 octane gasoline.
The Ford Towing Guide typically emphasizes using the recommended 87 octane fuel for most F-150s.

Benefits of Premium Fuel (when recommended):

Potentially Increased Power: In engines designed for premium fuel (as indicated in the manual), higher octane fuel can offer a slight power boost.
Reduced Knocking: Premium fuel can help prevent engine knocking, a pinging sound caused by premature fuel ignition.