P0153 - O2 Sensor Circuit Slow Response: What has been your experience with this issue?

Today, my check engine light came on while I was away from home. I was worried that my truck might fail and leave me stranded, unable to start the engine again.

Fortunately, I had bought an OBD2 reader from AliExpress for $5, and I was able to use it to identify the error causing the light to come on. It wasn’t entirely unexpected.

There’s an engine oil leak that I plan to repair tomorrow. It’s leaking down through the exhaust and has reached the O2 sensor just after the header, before the catalytic converters, on the right side of the truck. A few weeks ago, I noticed white smoke coming from that area once.

1 Like

Your little OBD2 gadget really saved the day! Turns out, there’s a leak in the oil system causing that white smoke you spotted earlier. Good news is, you can tackle this yourself tomorrow. Here’s the plan:

First up, you gotta fix that leak pronto. That’s key to stopping the smoke and preventing any more oil from seeping out. Next, check your oil level and add more if it’s running low. Just stick to what the manual says in terms of type and amount – don’t overdo it. Finally, keep a close watch after the repair job. No more leaks or smoke should pop up. And hey, some OBD2 readers reset themselves, but you might need to do it manually.

It’s not a bad idea to have a mechanic take a second look at where the leak’s coming from, just to play it safe. Burning oil can mess with the oxygen sensor over time, so keep an ear out for any weird engine noises down the road. Fix the leak, stay vigilant, and your truck should be back to its old self in no time!