How reliable is a 2000 Ford Mustang?

Hello everyone, I was just curious about the reliability after seeing this well-maintained Ford Mustang 2000 listed on Marketplace. The car mileage is about 12.5k miles.

1 Like

A well-maintained 2000 Ford Mustang with only 12.5k miles can be considered very reliable, especially considering the average lifespan of a Mustang is around 150,000 to 200,000 miles.
Here are some factors to consider:

Low Mileage: The low mileage is a significant positive factor. Less wear and tear on the engine, transmission, and other components generally translates to fewer potential issues.

Age is a Factor: While the mileage is low, a 24-year-old car still requires attention. Certain parts like rubber components (hoses, belts) and seals might degrade over time regardless of mileage.

Maintenance History is Key: A well-maintained car with documented service records is ideal. This indicates the previous owner took care of the vehicle, reducing potential problems.

Professional Inspection: Given the car’s age, even with low mileage, it’s highly advisable to get a professional inspection by a trusted mechanic before finalizing the purchase. This can uncover any underlying issues that might not be readily apparent.

1 Like

My 2000 GT just rolled over 104k and I drive it daily (unless it is snowing).

1 Like

104k for a 23-24-year-old car? Do you always drive it to the mailbox?:). This is an impressively low commute.

My uncle owns one, and it’s pretty reliable if everything is original. 99-04 motors, in my experience, can withstand a lot of abuse. Still in good condition.