How much weight can a Ford Ranger tow?

How much weight can a Ford Ranger tow?

1 Like

Hey all, I just picked up a 2020 Ranger XLT 4x4 this week and have a question about towing capacity.

I’m wondering what the maximum towing weight is. The truck doesn’t have a hitch currently (aside from the bumper mount), so I’m planning on installing a bolt-on Class 3 hitch like the one here:

Class 3 Hitch

This hitch is rated for up to 6,000 lbs. The sticker on the inside of my door says the GVWR is 6,050 lbs.

Can I assume that since I don’t have the factory tow package, using this aftermarket hitch will allow me to pull up to 6,000 lbs? Or am I missing something here?

This is my first truck, so I’m trying to learn the basics at this point. I’m planning for a move in the future and want to make sure I don’t get myself into a bad situation.

Hey Alex, The 2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 can tow up to 7,500 pounds when properly equipped with the Trailer Tow Package. This impressive towing capacity for a midsize truck makes it ideal for hauling trailers, boats, or other equipment. Keep in mind that towing capacity can be influenced by factors such as cargo weight and incline.

Depending on local regulations requiring trailer brakes, it can tow up to 7,500 pounds, depending on the hitch’s rating.

I have effortlessly hauled several heavy loads, including 375cfm air compressors (4,400 lbs.) and scrap iron.