Cylinder Numbering on '04 5.4?

This might be a silly question, but I can’t find the cylinder numbering for my 2004 5.4 engine. I need to know where each cylinder is located by its number for example, if #1 is the front cylinder on the driver’s side.

I have checked the OEM Workshop Manual and looked in the engine compartment, but I am still confused.

2 Likes

If I recall correctly from class, Ford’s engine layout is as follows when looking at it: 1-2-3-4 on the left side and 5-6-7-8 on the right side.

2 Likes

Sure, I’d be happy to help! For a 2004 5.4 engine, cylinder #1 is located on the driver’s side, near the front of the engine. The numbering continues in a clockwise direction when viewed from the front. So, the cylinders are numbered 1-8 in this order: front driver’s side, rear driver’s side, rear passenger side, and front passenger side.

1 Like

Not a silly question at all! Cylinder numbering can be confusing, especially on larger engines like the 5.4L V8 in your 2004 F-150.

For that engine, the cylinder numbering is as follows:

1 - Front cylinder, driver’s side
2 - Second cylinder, driver’s side
3 - Rear cylinder, driver’s side
4 - Rear cylinder, passenger’s side
5 - Second cylinder, passenger’s side
6 - Front cylinder, passenger’s side
7 - Front cylinder, driver’s side
8 - Second cylinder, driver’s side

So cylinder #1 is the front-most cylinder on the driver’s side.

The numbering then alternates between the driver’s and passenger’s side as you move from the front to the rear of the engine.

I can understand why this wasn’t totally clear in the workshop manual or just by looking at the engine.

Cylinder numbering conventions can vary across different vehicle makes and models.

I’m glad I could provide the specific details you were looking for on the 5.4L V8 in your 2004 F-150.

Let me know if you have any other questions!