Can you paint chrome bumpers

Hey everyone,

I am looking to keep up with the blacked-out theme on my truck by painting the bumpers black. Since they are currently chrome, I am curious about what type of paint you all are using and how you’re prepping and taping them off. Any tips or advice would be much appreciated! I’m leaning towards flat black and aiming to do a thorough job because I definitely don’t want to redo it anytime soon! Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

1 Like

To paint chrome bumpers black, opt for epoxy or acrylic enamel paint. Begin by preparing the surface through cleaning, sanding, priming, and carefully masking off surrounding areas. Apply several thin coats of paint for long-lasting results and durability.

I wouldn’t advise you to do that. If you paint the chrome bumpers you are basically inviting rust on it

1 Like

Use a self-etching primer on sanded chrome, then apply multiple thin coats of high-quality flat black automotive paint for a durable finish.

1 Like

Smoothly sand the entire chrome bumper to prepare it for painting. Before applying primer, ensure the surface is suitable by removing any flaws. Utilize sandpaper or a dual action sander, beginning with a coarser grit like 60- or 120-grit, followed by a finer 320-grit paper for a polished result.

Painting chrome bumpers requires thorough preparation. Clean the surface, sand it, apply a primer made for chrome, use automotive-grade paint, and finish with a clear coat for a durable, glossy finish.

Yes, you can paint chrome bumpers, but it requires proper preparation to ensure the paint adheres well and lasts.

I successfully refinished the chrome grill surround and rear bumper on my Tacoma. I used a DA sander with 120 grit, then 320 grit sandpaper. After sanding, I wiped everything down with metal cleaner, followed by an acid etch, then applied primer sealer and base clear. It has held up perfectly over four years with no chips, blistering, or peeling.

For painting chrome bumpers black, clean thoroughly, sand with 320-grit and 600-grit sandpaper, apply self-etching primer, then flat black automotive paint in thin coats, optionally adding a clear coat for durability.