2018 3.5 Ecoboost Cam Phaser Replacement

Hey everyone,

I have a 2018 F-150 with the 3.5 EcoBoost engine, and I need to get the cam phaser and timing kit replaced at 72k miles. My local Ford dealer can’t fit me in for 8 weeks, and I’m not feeling too confident about their service since they seem to prioritize other jobs over warranty work.

Last time I went in for an oil pan repair, they also claimed my water pump and timing cover gasket were leaking and quoted me $3500 to fix everything. After some haggling, Ford covered 66% of the cost, but their payout was $700 less than the dealer’s private estimate. This makes me suspect the dealer might be inflating the hours or costs.

Given my distrust in the dealer, I’m considering going to a local mechanic who quoted me $3500 for the full cam phaser/timing kit job. He assured me he would use the latest parts, mentioning that Ford has updated components that my 2017 model didn’t come with.

Has anyone else experienced these issues with their 3.5 EcoBoost? Any advice on dealing with the dealer versus an independent mechanic for this kind of repair?

2 Likes

2018 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost owner here, I can provide some insight. Your situation with the dealer sounds frustrating, but it’s not uncommon.

Dealers may prioritize higher-paying jobs or have longer wait times due to their customer base.

Regarding the cam phaser and timing kit, it’s crucial to have the work done by a reputable and experienced mechanic, whether it’s a dealer or an independent shop. The latest components can indeed improve the engine’s performance and longevity.

Here are some tips to help you decide:

1. Research local mechanics with good reviews and reputation.
  2. Ask for references and speak with other customers who have had similar repairs done.
  3. Verify that the mechanic has experience with your specific engine and repair.
  4. Ensure they will use OEM or high-quality aftermarket parts.
  5. Get a detailed, written estimate and ask about any potential additional costs.

Ultimately, the decision depends on your comfort level with the mechanic and their ability to provide quality service. Don’t hesitate to ask questions and seek a second opinion if needed.

1 Like

Great Tip! @MustangMaven